Monday 12 July 2010

Recipe: Simple Scallops

I have a passion for good food and enjoy cooking almost as much as I enjoy knitting and crochet. On my Food Passion page (see tabs), I will be sharing with you my adventures in the culinary world. I believe in good food that is not only tasty, but is also nutritious. I hope you will try some of my recipes and give me some feedback. If you enjoy cooking as much as I do, feel free to share your recipes with us. Enjoy!

Simple Scallops:
Scallops are perfect for both a light meal and when you need something really filling. The secret to cooking scallops perfectly, as with all seafood, is NOT to overcook them. They turn rubbery and they lose their taste. They cook quickly, so you should hover over the pan when making this dish!

What you need:
**You'll notice there aren't really any amounts or measurements given. This is because for this dish, you add as much of anything as you like.
Scallops - fresh ones are best - big or small, it's up to you
Peas - fresh or frozen
Knob of butter
Teaspoon of vegetable oil
Chopped onion
Minced garlic (about half a tsp)
Minced ginger (about half a tsp)
Salt to taste (if desired)

What you do:
1. Cook the peas (boil or microwave), drain thoroughly and set aside. You can multi-task, of course! :-)
2. Heat the oil and half the butter in a pan. A big wok works best.
3. When the oil is hot, add the chopped onion, ginger and garlic. Fry until the onion softens.
4. Add the scallops and cook until the scallops are almost cooked, stiring every now and again to ensure
even cooking. I like to cook mine until they have a light golden tinge to them on at least one side.
5. Add the cooked peas and the remainder of the butter. Mix gently but thoroughly. Cook for a few minutes,
until all the butter has melted and the fish and vegetables are well mixed. Season with salt to your taste if you
wish. I always add salt at the end because it tends to toughen fish or meat if it is added at the beginning.
6. Serve with rice, mashed potatoes or crusty bread. Enjoy!

What you could do:
Try it and give me some feedback. :-)

2 comments: